National School Breakfast Week March 4-8, 2019
Mark your calendar for National School Breakfast Week—March 4-8, 2019! The #NSBW19 theme is “Start Your Engines With School Breakfast,”
which is designed to show parents, students, and school officials the benefits of fueling up for the day with a healthy school breakfast. Start
planning your celebration today—get started with the help of our resources.
What is NSBW?
It’s a weeklong celebration of the National School Breakfast Program, permanently established in 1975 by an act of Congress. Members
celebrate with decorations, events, special menu items and other fun events. NSBW is the perfect time to bring attention to your
breakfast program and set a goal to increase participation.
- Reach higher levels of achievement in reading and math
- Score higher on standardized tests
- Have better concentration and memory
- Be more alert and maintain a healthy weight
- The National School Breakfast Program also serves more than 14 million children every school day—that’s something drive
home to your community!
Capitalize on NSBW with our tools and resources, including social media tips to help you promote your program to parents and students!
Why participate in NSBW?
According to a 2015 survey of SNA members, 96% said that their student participation increases during NSBW. Recognizing NSBW in your district or in your cafeteria helps you:
- Increase student participation
- Spread the message to parents that you’re serving healthy and tasty breakfasts at school
- Earn media coverage from local papers, TV stations, and bloggers
- Connect with teachers and administrators at your school or in your district to spread the word that school breakfasts are healthy and delicious
What if the timing doesn’t work for us?
NSBW 2019 is scheduled for March 4-8 by an act of Congress, but if you have a student holiday or teacher work day during that week
you can celebrate anytime! The week before, or the week after—it’s up to you!