About SNAL MembershipAbout SNAL Membership
SNAL MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
School Nutrition Association of Louisiana membership will provide many benefits to your school district, staff, and most of all to the students you serve every day. School Nutrition Association of Louisiana offers a variety of benefits including:
MEMBERSHIP IN NUMBERS
Established in 1954 as the Louisiana School Food Service Association, SNAL has grown to over 3,000 members and is one of the largest state school nutrition associations in the nation. One of the greatest benefits of membership in SNAL is the abundance of opportunities to share ideas and experiences with other professionals in both structured and informal settings. The wealth of information and assistance available to all members helps raise the level of performance and service to children across the state. SNAL also offers opportunities to instruct training programs, to chair committees and sub-committees, and to serve as a representative for your local area and state association.
EDUCATION & MEETINGS
SNAL hosts a variety of annual meetings to benefit all membership levels and training courses are offered year-round at SNAL meetings, at local chapter events, and at regional workshops coordinated with the Louisiana Department of Education.
SCHOLARSHIPS & STATE AWARD RECOGNITION PROGRAMS
The Louisiana Association for School Nutrition awards annual scholarships to deserving members. These scholarships help fund a variety of educational opportunities ranging from college courses to local training towards career advancement. A variety of awards are also are available for school food service professionals and entities to help them excel in foodservice achievement and to promote management excellence.
STATE & NATIONAL LEGISLATIVE REPRESENTATION
SNAL has a legislative team that works closely with national politics to ensure our members are kept abreast of the ever-changing regulations and policy. You can learn more about legislative action by visiting the latest new section of the website.
Members are subscribed to the official bi-annual SNAL Journal for Louisiana child nutrition professionals.
SNAL Membership Consists of five classes: active, life, honorary, retired, and sustaining. Membership in the School Nutrition Association is required, with the exception of sustaining and honorary members.
- Active Members - The Association shall be composed of persons actively engaged in school food services. Any school system or college employee engaged in state level, any such persons engaged in food service personnel training or teaching, or school administrative work in school or college, as are authorized under the National School Lunch Act, Child Nutrition Act, and the Older Americans Act. A person once qualified as an active member, but who ceases to be actively engaged in non-profit school food service work, may continue as an active member provided he does not accept employment in a non-eligible field. The term non-profit used in these by-laws means a program administered, managed and operated solely by employees of the governing body. Active members shall include both individual members and SDM (School District Owned Membership).
- Life Members – Any persons eligible for active membership may become a life member in the School Nutrition Association of Louisiana upon payment of 20 times the appropriate dues at the time of application in one payment, providing they are life members in SNA with the exception of SNA of Louisiana Past Presidents.
- Honorary Members- Individuals who have helped to advance School Food Service Programs or have rendered outstanding service to the School Nutrition Association of Louisiana may have conferred upon them the title of honorary member at any regular association meeting or conference.
- Retired Members – Any person who has been an active member of the association may become a retired member. Periodic employment of less than six (6) months within each school year will not alter retired status.
- Corporate Partners – Any individual or organization who is interested in furthering the programs of the Association may become a Corporate Partner.
What Our Members Say?
By participating on the Board and attending the many conferences and meetings, I was provided opportunities to spread my wings and take on challenges that I otherwise would not have tried.Are you ready to SOAR?